No job openings are available at this time.
Deadline for all Spring internships is January 15, 2020.
The Coalition on Homelessness is comprised of homeless people and allies who have been organizing together since 1987 to expand access to housing in one of the richest cities in the country, to protect the rights of the poorest people in our society, and to create real solutions to contemporary homelessness.
Street Sheet Internship
The STREET SHEET is a publication of the Coalition on Homelessness, San Francisco (COH) dedicated to covering issues of homelessness and poverty in San Francisco. The Coalition on Homelessness was formed in 1987 to foster the active participation of homeless and low-income San Francisco residents and front-line staff in the struggle for economic and social justice. Through an integrated approach that combines outreach, peer support, leadership development, public education, advocacy, and community organizing, the COH works to defend homeless and low-income people from attacks on their rights and their persons, while advocating for permanent solutions to homelessness that take into account not only poverty’s devastating effects, but also its root causes.
Twice a month, the STREET SHEET reaches 15,000 readers through 230 homeless or low-income vendors, who are not made to pay for the papers that they receive, and who keep all money they earn through STREET SHEET distribution.
What you can do:
- Writers/Reporters: Writers and reporters are either assigned stories by the editor or can pitch stories that they would like to do. Writers typically write one story every two weeks, with each story being 500-1500 words long.
- Photographers: Photographers are needed to take photos to accompany stories in the paper and for our website.
- Writing Workshops: Create writing workshops! Outreach, create, and facilitate writing and poetry workshops for homeless writers. Assist them in creating/editing their stories for the paper.
- Vendor Program: Assist with the vendor program. Examples include: creating a sales workshop, creating community events, identifying new distribution sites, recruiting new vendors, gathering feedback from vendors, etc.
- Podcast: Work to schedule and conduct interviews, write and read out the headlines at the beginning of the episode, promote on social media to increase our listeners
- Video: Create an informational video about the Street Sheet to help expand readership.
- Other opportunities available – talk to us!
We expect interns to be available 20-40hours per week for two to four months. Some work may be done remotely.
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org