No job openings are available at this time.
The Coalition on Homelessness is comprised of homeless people and allies who have been organizing together since 1987 to expand access to housing in one of the richest cities in the country, to protect the rights of the poorest people in our society, and to create real solutions to contemporary homelessness.
Street Sheet Paid Internship
Hours: 20hrs/ week for 22 weeks, but flexible
Start Date: ASAP
The STREET SHEET is a publication of the Coalition on Homelessness, San Francisco (COH) dedicated to covering issues of homelessness and poverty in San Francisco. The Coalition on Homelessness was formed in 1987 to foster the active participation of homeless and low-income San Francisco residents and front-line staff in the struggle for economic and social justice. Through an integrated approach that combines outreach, peer support, leadership development, public education, advocacy, and community organizing, the COH works to defend homeless and low-income people from attacks on their rights and their persons, while advocating for permanent solutions to homelessness that take into account not only poverty’s devastating effects, but also its root causes.
The STREET SHEET reaches readers through 230 homeless or low-income vendors, who receive the papers for free, and who keep all money they earn through STREET SHEET sales.
What you can do:
- Writers/Reporters: Writers and reporters are either assigned stories by the editor or can pitch stories that they would like to do. Writers typically write one story every two weeks, with each story being 500-1500 words long.
- Vendor Recruitment: Assist with the vendor program. Examples include: do outreach to homeless communities in San Francisco to introduce them to the program, creating community events, identifying new distribution sites, recruiting new vendors, gathering writing and artwork from vendors
- Podcast: Work to schedule and conduct interviews, write and read out the headlines at the beginning of the episode
- Social Media: Promote our projects on social media platforms, send out a regular newsletter update
- Graphic Design: help layout and design the paper each month
- Photography and Art: attend political events and take photos, create artwork for the paper, help lead creative workshops for our contributors, etc
- Other opportunities available – we want this to be an experience that works for you, so talk to us about what you’re interested in!
Why Be a Street Sheet Intern?
- Develop your writing and storytelling skills and see your name in print
- Participate in a community-based effort to address the root causes of poverty and homelessness in San Francisco
- Build relationships with other folks in the community working to end poverty and homelessness
- Work available both in-person and remotely, open to what works best for you
- We are able to provide the means and implements for this internship (cameras, notebooks, pens, computer use, etc) – if you need anything just ask!
Who We Are Looking For
- We will prioritize applications from those who are currently experiencing homelessness in San Francisco
- Folks who are excited to contribute to a project dedicated to ending homelessness and are comfortable working independently on assignments
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org